Author Topic: How to tell if I'm an Artisan?  (Read 16949 times)

Dave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Michael Teachings
Re: How to tell if I'm an Artisan?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 05:14:34 AM »
Yeah, I do wonder what the general make-up of art schools is, Michael Teachings wise? Or it might be a soul-age thing... ?  As I got the impression that others didn't think the system was that weird or hard to deal with. Hmm. I really liked art school my first year when I wasn't required to participate in extra curriculars. It was great! Because I was creating art and was allowed to explore. But then things got too serious and I was going to be 'made' to apply to art residencies and grad schools where I was, even though I knew I was going to move out of the country... I'm sure some people can let others' expectations roll off their backs, or not worry as much about it.

Another thing I think is that there was a mis-timing of being expected to have definite personal themes and ideas all ready to be put into artwork, when I was still exploring my self and my artistic voice/soul. Some people already had stuff to say. But I got really lost and felt like things were being yanked out of me before they were ready... (like tearing into a flower bud).

Anyway. I'm glad I went, and I learned an awful awful lot... but I wouldn't go back. heh.

Elisabeth, is there an art school that's equivalent to a music conservatory?

I majored in music at a typical four-year university and the department produced few musicians that would ever stand a chance of getting hired for a professional gig. Most universities groom more music teachers than musicians. To get professional training as a musician you normally need to attend a music conservatory. That's why I wondered if there's something equivalent to a music conservatory for artists?

I was already playing professionally when I went back to school to get a degree, and the only way I kept my sanity was to major on one of my secondary instruments so I'd feel somewhat challenged. I think the only benefit I got from the schooling was through my private teacher and the chamber music groups I formed to perform music outside the normal curriculum. I sort of took matters into my hands.

You definitely don't need a college education to be a musician, but getting a great private instructor is extremely valuable. Are private art instructors as common in the art world?

Bringing this back to Artisans, a creative project doesn't need to be finished in your mind before you start it in earnest. I tend to throw something at the wall and then step back and see what I'm working with and where should it go next. I look for structure and patterns, with an eye toward connective threads that are organically derived. I do this constantly with music, but it works for writing, too. Breathing life into that first draft gets me into a creative flow and at that point the work starts to take shape. If I get stuck I simply put it aside and allow it to incubate for a while without my direct attention. This is often where the magic occurs, since when I come back to the work I usually notice that new ideas have emerged and more progress can be made. I don't know if this approach is typical of Artisans, but it has always worked for me.

I'm thinking that Kings might find this approach somewhat frustrating since they aren't used to relinquishing control, whereas the Artisan is more comfortable with letting things go since they can always be pulled out of the chaos and recreated.

Best,
Dave

Velleity

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 07:47:09 AM »
There are "art academies" and "art institutes" (like, the sorbonne, and other european institutions, pratt institute, or SAIC/chicago...) and probably other schools much more singularly devoted to art   ... Then there are university art colleges that range from "you must learn nudes and life drawing for three years before you can create anything of your own" to "hey yeah learn it sometime but we're setting you freeeee in every direction possible, go go go! yeahhh!"....

You definitely don't need a college education to be a musician, but getting a great private instructor is extremely valuable. Are private art instructors as common in the art world?

Yes, same. You don't need to go to college to be an artist, though it really helps to take art classes and to be exposed to experiences and techniques. So mostly the advantage of doing an art major was that I learned printmaking, and had access to amazing printing presses and other pieces of huge machinery ... and it was a great campus and I did many other things. But I was kind of over it after two years. heh. I think the only really 'famous' artist my u.s. university produced was Jim Dine. Otherwise I'm not sure. Most of the people were in graphic design, art history, or photography. The 'well-paying' art degrees...

I would have loved to have had a private art tutor and to have done an 'individual degree' that I designed for myself... but at my u.s. school for me it was either 'painting' or 'printmaking' or 'double majoring', and then getting along with a huge amount of other people doing printmaking, like a printmaker's club... in Nz they were a lot more flexible and you could do anything you wanted with whatever medium you wanted and weren't confined to something like just ceramics or just photography. But they were almost over focused on contemporary art and "Context". (which I found annoying...).

I think the creative process is similar for any role though. 

jk

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 10:05:17 AM »
it really helps to take art classes and to be exposed to experiences and techniques
I can imagine. I keep toying with the idea of getting into painting, but when I go to an artist supply shop, I don't know where to start, what to buy in terms of paints, the selection is overwhelming.
But as I am writing this, I realise it's just blah blah BS, if I really wanted it to do it so much, I would go and blooming buy something and do it, which is what I do with anything that I was never trained in (in this life anyway).