Author Topic: Question about a Joel Friedlander book  (Read 12883 times)

Drury

• View Profile
Question about a Joel Friedlander book
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:40:01 PM »
I checked a book out from the library called Body Types, by Joel Friedlander.  It was published in 1986, is based on Gurdjieff's Fourth Way, and covers body types such as Lunar, Venusian, etc.  If I study this book, will it send me in the wrong direction when it comes to Michael Teachings, as in, did MT break away somewhat from these ideas or change or expand on them?  The only thing I know at this point is that the names of the body types are the same in the book and MT.

John Roth

• Forum Support
    • View Profile
Re: Question about a Joel Friedlander book
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »
I checked a book out from the library called Body Types, by Joel Friedlander.  It was published in 1986, is based on Gurdjieff's Fourth Way, and covers body types such as Lunar, Venusian, etc.  If I study this book, will it send me in the wrong direction when it comes to Michael Teachings, as in, did MT break away somewhat from these ideas or change or expand on them?  The only thing I know at this point is that the names of the body types are the same in the book and MT.

I'm not familiar with the Gurdjieff treatment, however the body types in the MT are pretty generally recognized as being derived from the Gurdjieffian concept, as are the Chief Features. I wouldn't think you'd go too far wrong.

John Roth

Drury

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 07:08:19 PM »
Thanks, John!  I'll go ahead and study it, then.

Barbara Taylor

• View Profile
    • Rainbows & Miracles etc.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 11:33:01 PM »
I have the book and it will is very useful for learning about body types.
  The only other books that cover them are The Michael Handbook, Journey of Your Soul and Michael: The Basic Teaching to a much lesser degree than Joel's book.
  The body type names and understandings came to us from the original Michael group who had been studying Gurdjieff's teachings before they encountered Michael.  Many of the terms we use in the Michael Teachings today came from that body of knowledge as it helped the people to relate to the new information coming in.  Gurdjieff was a Michael student in his day. 

Barbara

Timeflyer

• All Is Choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 03:12:30 AM »
  Gurdjieff was a Michael student in his day. 

Barbara

Barbara - I never knew that Gurdjieff was a Michael student in his day. Could you explain that for me. It sounds very interesting. Thank you. Timeflyer

John Roth

• Forum Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 12:21:59 PM »
  Gurdjieff was a Michael student in his day. 

Barbara

Barbara - I never knew that Gurdjieff was a Michael student in his day. Could you explain that for me. It sounds very interesting. Thank you. Timeflyer

Gurdjieff wasn't a Michael Student in the way we think of today; he had many teachers. Also, he didn't get Michael as a clearly separate voice that he could assign a specific identity to.

Michael has had students through the ages. According to some of the "history" I've seen, some of the Classical Greek schools of philosophy were strongly influenced by Michael. You don't think that the names of the attitudes (esp. Stoic) were a coincidence?

This is the first time they've come through as a nice, clear, specific identity. The current mode of channeling is something that's happened very rarely throughout history.

John Roth

jk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 05:36:44 PM »
I have once asked Michael about Loiuse Hay's concept of metaphysical causes for diseases. And they said in their reply "Our student Louise Hay…"
Then I said to the channel that I did not know L. Hay was a Michael student and he said that she is not, to his knowledge a conscious Michael student. And that neither was he, till x number of years ago. Which poses a question what exactly does a term "Michael student" define.