Author Topic: Questions About Roles  (Read 5657 times)

Drury

• View Profile
Questions About Roles
« on: April 21, 2011, 11:43:16 PM »
[After multiple tries, I could only get half this message to show.  Even subsequent posts, which I deleted, wouldn't allow the rest of the message, though when I try to modify, the entire message is there.  Maybe Dave can either help me show all the info in this post or delete the thread and tell me what I'm doing wrong?]

Since I’m new to MT, maybe this has been thoroughly discussed already.  I’ve been thinking the last few days about Roles in general and my Role in particular.  Much of what I’ve read about Roles over the last couple weeks, since I learned about MT, seems to describe the extremes of Roles so they’re easier to tell apart, not necessary how they always play out in real life.  For example, according to what I’ve read, Warriors are in-your-face people, Sages need to have center stage with as many people as possibly admiring them, and Priests are driven and need to be leaders over as large a group as possible in order for their mission to be achieved.  If I go by what I’ve read so far about all Roles, my husband and I don’t fit any type.  Since I’m so new, I can’t speak with authority on anything connected to MT and maybe people can set me straight, but I wonder if many of the descriptions are leaving out a much broader spectrum of how Roles manifest, thus confusing people and making it harder to spot their Roles.  It’s true that the Overleaves modify Roles, but it seems Roles should be distinctive enough to be able to stand alone as archetypes without studying the rest of the MT categories.  I googled, trying to find answers, and came up with some quotes from Shepherd Hoodwin.  He said what I’d come to:

“One Michael student attending a workshop I did is a gregarious, sociable scholar; because of her outgoing personality, some assumed she had to be a sage.  Similarly, shy, reserved sages are guessed to be servers or scholars.  There is often an inability to go deeper to see the real energies.”

Under “Learning To See Roles”:  “Behavior results from many factors, including overleaves, body type, astrology, imprinting, and past?lives, but your essence is what you *are*, not what you do.  Behavior often but doesn't always reflect your essence, so you have to look deeper to see essence.”

“Your essence is what you *are*, not what you do.”  Those were the thoughts I’d come to, that behavior can be a strong indication but is not the definitive marker for any particular Role, that it’s the underlying drive toward Expression, Inspiration, etc., in Ordinal, Cardinal and Neutral that delineate the Roles.  There has to be a line when the behavior is so far off that it falls into another Role, but I don’t know where that line is and I don’t know how much emphasis to put on behavior.  There are so many ways of manifesting, say, Inspirational Cardinal, that I don’t understand why most writings say they are leaders and prefer to inspire as large of groups as possible.  What about lower-key Cardinals - does that not happen?  Do all Sages want to be the center of attention and love to tell stories?  Is it possible to be a lower-key fun-loving type who loves to express themselves to a wide range of people, but more one-on-one, bouncing around in a group?

Another question I have, is it possible that I have a Role but I haven’t manifested it this lifetime, such as I’m a Priest but haven’t found my mission, or do Roles always seep through and show up strongly one way or another, since that’s who the person is at heart?  Right now, I don’t seem to fit any of the Roles and I’m not sure if anyone watching me would do much better.  Saying I’m an Artisan, Server, Warrior or King would have everyone who knows me rolling their eyes.  If I’m a Sage, then I’d be, “Oh no, now I have to care about material things and clothes and tell stories and try to be the center of attention for anyone to realize I’m a Sage.”  If I’m a Priest it’s, “Oh great, now I have to be driven instead of fun loving.”  And if I was with a group of Scholars, they’d all be eying this weird goofy person who’s constantly saying, “Wow, that’s amazing/interesting!”  I wish there was an eighth category for a fun-loving, freedom-loving, change-addicted, learning-addicted, dancing, hiking, nature-loving, emotional/logical, spiritually-oriented person who loves to share ideas and go into depth about who I am/you are and give emotional help where needed without wanting to stand out or be a leader.  I think that about covers it.  :D  It may seem like I’m frustrated, but I’m not.  It’s more an interesting learning experience and I’m trying to sort out the info.

If anyone would like to comment on any of the above, I’d be very interested.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:51:46 AM by Drury »

Dave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Michael Teachings
Re: Questions About Roles
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 04:55:21 AM »
Apparently you had some brackets surrounding the first letter of the next paragraph, and that's why it was truncated.

It should view correctly now.  8)

Best,
Dave

Drury

• View Profile
Re: Questions About Roles
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 04:46:59 PM »
Funny - after all my work trying to fix this mysterious problem and it was just brackets.   :D  Thanks, Dave!