The Overleaves > The Seven Attitudes

About Stoic

<< < (2/3) > >>

jo:

--- Quote from: John Roth link=topic=234.msg1619#msg1619 ---
The "Serenity Prayer" has been kicking around for a long time. There are multiple versions.

Give me the grace to accept what can't be changed,
The courage to change what can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

The originator probably did not use this as the last line: "and enough ammunition to make it happen."

I agree with Chiara - that doesn't sound very much like Resignation. If it is, you might try the positive pole of the opposite overleaf on the axis: Spiritualist +Verification.

--- End quote ---

When looking at it again. Your text seems to fit perfectly with me. Guess I'm more a cynic. That always confused me. How can I be cynical about anything, really anything. And why other people aren't.

jo:
but I don't know for sure.

jo:
:/ yeah, actually I'm not very good in understanding these things.

John Roth:

--- Quote from: jo on March 17, 2012, 05:47:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: John Roth link=topic=234.msg1619#msg1619 ---
The "Serenity Prayer" has been kicking around for a long time. There are multiple versions.

Give me the grace to accept what can't be changed,
The courage to change what can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

The originator probably did not use this as the last line: "and enough ammunition to make it happen."

I agree with Chiara - that doesn't sound very much like Resignation. If it is, you might try the positive pole of the opposite overleaf on the axis: Spiritualist +Verification.

--- End quote ---

When looking at it again. Your text seems to fit perfectly with me. Guess I'm more a cynic. That always confused me. How can I be cynical about anything, really anything. And why other people aren't.

--- End quote ---

Cynic is the ordinal action attitude. It's summed up in a few pithy sayings:

"The devil is in the details."

"SNAFU - Situation Normal: All fouled up."

"Murphy always wins."

"Plans are the way it won't happen."

Cheop's Law: "Everything takes longer and costs more."

"The innate perversity of the universe."

Maxim 17: "The longer everything goes according to plan, the worse the impending disaster."

This all sounds horribly negative, but it's really the warrior's attitude: nothing every goes completely right. Cynicism is a defense against people who take a blindly optimistic view of what it actually takes to make something work.

jo:
michael said through troy, that i would have been imprinted with the cynic attitude, when i actually would have a spiritualist one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version