Author Topic: About Stoic  (Read 13088 times)

jo

• View Profile
About Stoic
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:12:34 AM by Dave »

Elisa

• View Profile
Re: Strange thoughts in Stoic Attitude
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 03:24:23 AM »
I think Stoic attitude is more about accepting things as they are, rather than wanting them to be radically different.  Issues about control and personal power are, I think,  more likely to be on the Action axis. 

Elisa

John Roth

• Forum Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 04:25:10 PM »
The Following could sound a bit weird, but I think this Forum has a relatively objective view on things, without making that much drama ;). (like a miedeval priest or something, would do :)^^)
I'm sometimes tempted, when I'm in Resignation, to think: Ahh, I hate everything, I just want to split myself from the whole controlled universe (by fate or God), and do my own thing (Is this like what the Archangels did?) Not really to be happier, but to have the Power on my own, and being independant, and don't controlled. Am I thinking this, because of the Stoic attitude, or because of another reason?
And I'm sometimes angry, when I think, that this is probably impossible and I have to stay bonded with it. Do you maybe have some useful thoughts or ideas, I could use against this, or to accept the way it is?
Oh, I could/would like to write so much more, but that would be... probably too much, and too unclear thoughts ::) (for a Forum)
You have to clarify the most of your inner "things"(thoughts, ideas, occupations) for yourself, I guess. Is this for you the same?

Greeting, Raoul

The "Serenity Prayer" has been kicking around for a long time. There are multiple versions.

Give me the grace to accept what can't be changed,
The courage to change what can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

The originator probably did not use this as the last line: "and enough ammunition to make it happen."

I agree with Chiara - that doesn't sound very much like Resignation. If it is, you might try the positive pole of the opposite overleaf on the axis: Spiritualist +Verification.

doodeedoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 01:50:36 AM »
I have these thoughts too and I'm a stoic. I think about wanting to be more independent... is just a symptom of a very, very unideal world. Feeling powerless, due to unideal, to say the least, circumstances... can definitely put a stoic into resignation. Or put anyone for that matter into a negative place. But lucky? for us, we have our gray blanket blinder on. You probably have the freedom need, too. Maybe you can try to put more spontaneity into your life, not that you need advice, but that helps me out. For example, I don't really go to the mall but the other day I just went. It was an interesting change of scenery.

jo

• View Profile
Re: ...
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:12:23 PM »
mh I still haven't really find out, how to use this attitude most constructively :/.

jo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »
Quote from: John Roth link=topic=234.msg1619#msg1619

The "Serenity Prayer" has been kicking around for a long time. There are multiple versions.

The originator probably did not use this as the last line: "and enough ammunition to make it happen."

I agree with Chiara - that doesn't sound very much like Resignation. If it is, you might try the positive pole of the opposite overleaf on the axis: Spiritualist +Verification.

When looking at it again. Your text seems to fit perfectly with me. Guess I'm more a cynic. That always confused me. How can I be cynical about anything, really anything. And why other people aren't.

jo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 05:52:44 PM »
but I don't know for sure.

jo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 08:59:22 PM »
:/ yeah, actually I'm not very good in understanding these things.

John Roth

• Forum Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 12:11:15 AM »
Quote from: John Roth link=topic=234.msg1619#msg1619

When looking at it again. Your text seems to fit perfectly with me. Guess I'm more a cynic. That always confused me. How can I be cynical about anything, really anything. And why other people aren't.

Cynic is the ordinal action attitude. It's summed up in a few pithy sayings:

"The devil is in the details."

"SNAFU - Situation Normal: All fouled up."

"Murphy always wins."

"Plans are the way it won't happen."

Cheop's Law: "Everything takes longer and costs more."

"The innate perversity of the universe."

Maxim 17: "The longer everything goes according to plan, the worse the impending disaster."

This all sounds horribly negative, but it's really the warrior's attitude: nothing every goes completely right. Cynicism is a defense against people who take a blindly optimistic view of what it actually takes to make something work.

jo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 03:20:27 AM »
michael said through troy, that i would have been imprinted with the cynic attitude, when i actually would have a spiritualist one.

Betty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 02:07:45 PM »
Cynicism is a defense against people who take a blindly optimistic view of what it actually takes to make something work.

This reminds me of politics here in Kentucky (maybe politics in general).  People moan and groan and bitch about the obviously and blatantly corrupt officials, yet they keep electing them in the hopes that "this time it will be different".  Or they elect a college basketball star thinking that athletic prowess will translate into political ability, lol.  true case btw;  he turned out to be pretty darn bad, but it took them several terms to figure it out.

There's a quote about the definition of insanity that goes something like this:  the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expect a different result. 

imo, you can substitute stupidity for insanity and it works just as well.