Author Topic: Acceptance Need  (Read 4843 times)

Wayne

• View Profile
Acceptance Need
« on: April 22, 2011, 05:28:47 AM »
When the Michael terms overlap I get confused. How is the need of Acceptance different from the goal of Acceptance?

Thanks! 

Velleity

• View Profile
Re: Acceptance Need
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 11:07:27 PM »

I have an acceptance need, but a goal of Flow. My 'need' sometimes feels all consuming and very present, is much more like a desire or yearning, and it doesn't feel as structured in the way that my goal does, if that makes sense. It's more a part of me, something I feel I need that really enhances my life and lets me live out my goal better. I also have needs of Freedom and Expansion, and they seem to serve the same purpose. If I have those needs fulfilled, then it makes my goal and life task easier and I feel happier.

Sometimes I can do that with goal of flow, if I'm flowing, but it doesn't seem to have the same intensity or aspect of longing that my needs do. I do sometimes long to be flowing, but it sounds silly saying that "I long to flow! Oh how I yearn for it..."  :D. Mostly because I'll somehow already be flowing and don't really think about my goal so insistently. I don't think of it as something that I 'have'. Sounds much more resonant to say I long for acceptance/freedom, as if they are 'things' I could possess. They're shiny.   

I would imagine that a goal of Acceptance would be a bit more in-built, and more of a way of 'being' or behaving. Even though I have a need for acceptance, I definitely do not have a goal of acceptance even though some aspects of it are familiar. I'm perfectly fine being different and standing out... but I like having my uniqueness and standing out being accepted. Which can be conflicting at times. 

I'm probably not the best person to answer your question, but I guess that's how I see the differences.