Author Topic: Hereafter  (Read 7331 times)

Vera Larson

• View Profile
Hereafter
« on: June 16, 2011, 12:02:50 PM »
Hello I'm new here.
I hope this is the right place for this. I watched the movie Hereafter tonight and wonder what you forum people thought of it? I fell asleep half way into the flick. I wonder was it me or the movie?

John Roth

• Forum Support
    • View Profile
Re: Hereafter
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »
Hello I'm new here.
I hope this is the right place for this. I watched the movie Hereafter tonight and wonder what you forum people thought of it? I fell asleep half way into the flick. I wonder was it me or the movie?

IMDB gives it 3 1/2 stars, Rotten Tomatoes gives it 2 1/2. In general, this is not the kind of topic we usually discuss, and even if it was, I'm not the one to discuss it. I don't usually watch movies, and when I do it'll be something more like Indiana Jones or Star Wars.

The Michael Teachings is mostly about a personality system which can help in understanding other people and taking them as they are rather than as we would like them to be. This can reduce much of the angst that misunderstanding people causes. It's got a rather different view of (re)incarnation that's unlikely to show up in a popular movie.

There's a great deal of material on the Michael Teachings web site as well as a number of books, starting with Messages From Michael by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro.

HTH

John Roth

Dave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Michael Teachings
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 11:47:11 PM »
I really wanted to enjoy the film but I thought the characters were too passive, the storylines were disjointed, and they didn't integrate effectively at the end, which was frustrating. In fact, the ending came out of nowhere, was weirdly sentimental, and not believable.

Concerning the screenplay, I never understood why the characters had to be displaced across the world. That had a jarring effect on me and it required the use of subtitles, which could have been avoided if they had centered this story locally. I wonder if Eastwood simply wanted to film in France and this script, that jumped all over the world, was his excuse.

And was anyone else bothered by the introduction of the cooking student, played by Ron Howard's daughter? She was the first character that didn't appear to be sleep walking, yet almost as soon as she entered the film she was written out of it. Baffling.

There were more things that bothered me, but I don't recall what they were at the moment. I thought the cast was good but the screenplay was weak. The film meanders too much and the characters just seem to stumble around. The opening shot, however, was quite riveting and showed how fleeting life can be, and how we should step back occasionally and take stock of what is truly important. It was an excellent premise for a film but it needed a stronger focus overall.

Oh, and the musical score was uneven. I was impressed that Clint Eastwood scored it himself, but some of the passages were laughingly cornball.

Best,
Dave

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:11:51 AM by Dave »

SHARMLA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:12:04 AM »
Hi Vera,

Yes - I tend to agree with all the other comments on the movie having a weak plot, terribly disjointed & downright disappointing! It is rather sad that those with the means would choose such inane & insubstantial material to base a movie on. However, I do believe there is the thread or clue in the movie (perhaps in the form of creating doubt or in it being "open ended" & not based on any restrictive relgious beliefs if you will that does show the move from young soul mentality to mature soul.

Namaste
Sharmla