General > General Discussion

Why do we have ten fingers?

<< < (3/6) > >>

Chiara DB:

--- Quote from: Tina on July 02, 2011, 03:23:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: Chiara DB on June 30, 2011, 09:38:30 PM ---I think this is a question for evolutionary biologists, not the MT.

--- End quote ---

I predict their answer will be predictable. :)

--- End quote ---

And what is your prediction? :)

jk:

--- Quote from: Tina on July 02, 2011, 03:13:36 PM ---That is helpful to playing an octave.
--- End quote ---
Ah yeah it would be, would it in. Fellow piano player? Unfortunately I think the 6th finger tends to be rather useless and limp (I have seen a picture of it).

--- Quote from: Tina on July 02, 2011, 03:13:36 PM ---Ok, but toes are useless to me
--- End quote ---
Do you walk/stand? :P

Betty:
We have 10 because we have 10.  Does it really matter?

Or, in other words:  Why not have 10?  Some number had to be picked/chosen/evolved.  If we had a different number--any different number, say 13--people would be asking why we had 13.

Betty:
As far as it being a question for evolutionary biologists, not the MT:  well, my opinion is, Dave will delete it if he thinks it is OT.  Other than that:  if people want to discuss it, that's their choice.

Dave:

--- Quote from: Betty on July 02, 2011, 07:05:46 PM ---As far as it being a question for evolutionary biologists, not the MT:  well, my opinion is, Dave will delete it if he thinks it is OT.  Other than that:  if people want to discuss it, that's their choice.

--- End quote ---

You are right, Betty. If something is blatantly off-topic I'll delete it; however, Chiara's comment is valid, too, since I've asked both her and John Roth to watch over the forum and help keep things on topic whenever possible. She wasn't trying to restrict choice, she was simply making a comment based on things I've discussed with her regarding the forum guidelines. No harm no foul, though.

Best,
Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version