The Seven Roles > Scholar

Theory

<< < (2/3) > >>

barblu:

--- Quote from: John Roth on April 13, 2011, 11:22:34 PM ---

Scholars learn by getting involved with things. You can start with what someone says and investigate, or you can just jump in. That's more a matter of other overleaves.

To take a very simple example? Does the sun go around the Earth, or does the Earth go around the Sun? Most people today would answer the latter, but only because they've been taught that in school. They do not have the mathematics and physics grounding to actually understand things they may have seen, such as a Focult's Pendulum.

Why don't they? For some people, it just doesn't matter, and recognizing what doesn't matter is one of the beginnings of wisdom. Many of the rest are afraid that the math might be too hard or dozens of other excuses. It's all fear.

HTH

John Roth
Good statement John!  It takes a lot of physical years to get there but at 80 I almost believe I have finally achieved the "beginnings of wisdom".  All the trivial stuff that makes up day to day living in a lifetime is mere distraction.  Now this old scholar just has a ball exploring (my Bing search button is worn out  :D) and none of it "matters' - it's just fun to gather information and ponder it for a while and then on the the next thread.  Wonderful life I'm leading now!
Hugs
Barb

--- End quote ---

Dave:
Wow! 80 years young. That's quite a milestone, Barb. And inspiring.

I'm looking forward to the post you'll make when you're 90.  :-) 

Best,
Dave

MOO:
" recognizing what doesn't matter is one of the beginnings of wisdom....."

Then how does one know what "matters"....right now the only thing that matters to me is understanding any subject I am researching.... BLAH....I guess confusion will run with territory until I figure it out on my own accord.... ;D

Stu:

--- Quote from: MOO on April 20, 2011, 08:42:37 PM ---" recognizing what doesn't matter is one of the beginnings of wisdom....."

Then how does one know what "matters"....right now the only thing that matters to me is understanding any subject I am researching.... BLAH....I guess confusion will run with territory until I figure it out on my own accord.... ;D

--- End quote ---

What matters would seem to be relative to the individual.  For example, with me, what matters is significant to the moment and how I feel at that time.  Ultimately though, what matters to me would fit under the term "Good work" which is used by Michael.  The reason I say it that way, is because I can feel it.  It feels good when there is growth and not so good when there is stagnation.

Take care,
Stu

jk:
The terms used in MT have a specific meaning. The act of labelling a negative pole of something "Theory" does not imply that that word is "negative".

My interpretation: Knowledge is something you have lived and validated and therefore really know and understand. Theory, in the negative pole sense, could be expressed as "book smart, life stupid".

My own perception about what drives the fear underlying this, is a fear of looking stupid/un-knowledgable. This is a little ironic, since everyone who has lived what this person only theoretises about would see the silliness of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version