Author Topic: Theory  (Read 16853 times)

Wayne

• View Profile
Theory
« on: April 11, 2011, 09:25:27 PM »
Now this is something that puzzles me. Scientists work with theories all the time. How can that be negative?

Thanks!

John Roth

• Forum Support
    • View Profile
Re: Theory
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 04:53:36 AM »
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

The term "theory" in the sciences means an intellectual construct that tries to pull a whole bunch of observations together into a coherent whole that can then be reasoned about, preferably with precise, repeatable measurements and to a reasonable degree of mathematical precision.

As the negative pole of Scholar, it means that what he thinks about isn't grounded in real world experience. For example, literary theory. Since the negative poles are governed by fear, a Scholar in the negative pole is afraid of finding out if his theories actually work in practice.

A good example of an ungrounded theory is modern macro-economics. It's clear that it doesn't work, but economists don't seem to be in any hurry to fix it. A Scholar in the positive pole would know there were problems and have a lot of experience in what works and what doesn't. One in the negative pole would try to defend the indefensible, like the notion that "sustainable growth" is a meaningful phrase.

HTH

John Roth

MOO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:12:02 PM »
I am confused now....I am mature scholar/sage who seeks knowledge all the time through the good old method of try and try again if I do not find what satisfies my curiosity at the time. And this curiosity often changes if I am bored with searching for the answers....some "knowledge" seeking adventures I come back to and others I do not....

If a scholar does not "practice in theory"(negative), then the scholar never gains the "knowledge"(positive) of what they are seeking....do scholars continually shift from negative pole to positive pole to gain lifes lessons? And if so, how do we advance to the next level?  ??? ;D

John Roth

• Forum Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:22:34 PM »
I am confused now....I am mature scholar/sage who seeks knowledge all the time through the good old method of try and try again if I do not find what satisfies my curiosity at the time. And this curiosity often changes if I am bored with searching for the answers....some "knowledge" seeking adventures I come back to and others I do not....

If a scholar does not "practice in theory"(negative), then the scholar never gains the "knowledge"(positive) of what they are seeking....do scholars continually shift from negative pole to positive pole to gain lifes lessons? And if so, how do we advance to the next level?  ??? ;D

Another way of expressing it is that theory, as the negative pole of Scholar, is what was called "book learning" when I was growing up. The negative pole is governed by fear. If you're not afraid to investigate to find out the actual facts to the extent you can know them, then you're not in the negative pole. Sometimes fears aren't obvious. For example, a lot of people would leave the fundamentalist religions in a heartbeat except that they're afraid of losing their friends and family if they do.

Scholars learn by getting involved with things. You can start with what someone says and investigate, or you can just jump in. That's more a matter of other overleaves.

To take a very simple example? Does the sun go around the Earth, or does the Earth go around the Sun? Most people today would answer the latter, but only because they've been taught that in school. They do not have the mathematics and physics grounding to actually understand things they may have seen, such as a Focult's Pendulum.

Why don't they? For some people, it just doesn't matter, and recognizing what doesn't matter is one of the beginnings of wisdom. Many of the rest are afraid that the math might be too hard or dozens of other excuses. It's all fear.

HTH

John Roth

MOO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:40:47 PM »
Interesting theory you have on "theory" LOL....

That does make sense....fear does control alot of peoples thinking and actions.

Thank you for responding....and the arrogant overleaf I have says "I do not worry about fear... I fear about the unknown so I have to go find out!!!" ;D

barblu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 12:59:21 AM »

Scholars learn by getting involved with things. You can start with what someone says and investigate, or you can just jump in. That's more a matter of other overleaves.

To take a very simple example? Does the sun go around the Earth, or does the Earth go around the Sun? Most people today would answer the latter, but only because they've been taught that in school. They do not have the mathematics and physics grounding to actually understand things they may have seen, such as a Focult's Pendulum.

Why don't they? For some people, it just doesn't matter, and recognizing what doesn't matter is one of the beginnings of wisdom. Many of the rest are afraid that the math might be too hard or dozens of other excuses. It's all fear.

HTH

John Roth
Good statement John!  It takes a lot of physical years to get there but at 80 I almost believe I have finally achieved the "beginnings of wisdom".  All the trivial stuff that makes up day to day living in a lifetime is mere distraction.  Now this old scholar just has a ball exploring (my Bing search button is worn out  :D) and none of it "matters' - it's just fun to gather information and ponder it for a while and then on the the next thread.  Wonderful life I'm leading now!
Hugs
Barb

Dave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Michael Teachings
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 01:08:36 AM »
Wow! 80 years young. That's quite a milestone, Barb. And inspiring.

I'm looking forward to the post you'll make when you're 90.  :-) 

Best,
Dave

MOO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 08:42:37 PM »
" recognizing what doesn't matter is one of the beginnings of wisdom....."

Then how does one know what "matters"....right now the only thing that matters to me is understanding any subject I am researching.... BLAH....I guess confusion will run with territory until I figure it out on my own accord.... ;D

Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 03:33:34 PM »
" recognizing what doesn't matter is one of the beginnings of wisdom....."

Then how does one know what "matters"....right now the only thing that matters to me is understanding any subject I am researching.... BLAH....I guess confusion will run with territory until I figure it out on my own accord.... ;D

What matters would seem to be relative to the individual.  For example, with me, what matters is significant to the moment and how I feel at that time.  Ultimately though, what matters to me would fit under the term "Good work" which is used by Michael.  The reason I say it that way, is because I can feel it.  It feels good when there is growth and not so good when there is stagnation.

Take care,
Stu

jk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 04:34:43 PM »
The terms used in MT have a specific meaning. The act of labelling a negative pole of something "Theory" does not imply that that word is "negative".

My interpretation: Knowledge is something you have lived and validated and therefore really know and understand. Theory, in the negative pole sense, could be expressed as "book smart, life stupid".

My own perception about what drives the fear underlying this, is a fear of looking stupid/un-knowledgable. This is a little ironic, since everyone who has lived what this person only theoretises about would see the silliness of it.

Chiara DB

• Forum Support
  • Love all, trust a few. Harm none.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »
I know a Scholar who is in Theory most of the time. It kind of looks like Sage in oration, as this person kind of sits immobile, as if on a throne, and yammers on about all their theories about things they have never bothered to actually investigate in any depth. They are just expounding on their own prejudices and insecurities as if it were objective fact. It makes me think of a stereotypical 19th century British guy dressed up like an anthropologist, who never actually goes anywhere, but sits in his big upholstered chair with a huge map, pompously and authoritatively telling you all about the things that go on in New Guinea and what the natives are like and why, when actually all he is doing is repeating his own prejudices, has never been there and has never even questioned the bad information he's managed to acquire from chair.

I know other Scholars who aren't as extreme, but they will confidently spout theories based on half-cocked information -- which we all do, of course, but the difference is that Scholars are proud of being such good researchers and knowers, so they have a kind of unearned pride and certainty about their empty theory.

And the difference between this Theory and actual healthy theorizing is that this Theory is based on CF - it's a manifestation of resistance and defense, not a healthy use of the ability to gather, synthesize and generalize knowledge to create a theory.

MOO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 11:51:10 PM »
OOOO I am in trouble then LOL....I am scholar/sage HAHAHAHA!!!

And I am enjoying all the responses to this thread....more info for me HAHAHAHA!

;D