Author Topic: Signature lines  (Read 8357 times)

Chiara DB

• Forum Support
  • Love all, trust a few. Harm none.
    • View Profile
Signature lines
« on: April 17, 2011, 06:02:45 AM »
Dave, it seems that the sig line feature currently limits us to one letter. I don't know about you, but I'm just not that pithy!

Dave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Michael Teachings
Re: Signature lines
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 07:22:04 AM »
Dave, it seems that the sig line feature currently limits us to one letter. I don't know about you, but I'm just not that pithy!

LOL! Duly noted, your highness.  ;D

Here's the problem: This forum has only been open for business now for several days, and forum spammers are already arriving at the door, along with their spam bots. I've banned 6 or 7 so far and it's frustrating. Since signature files are a prime target for forum spammers, I was trying to remove the temptation.

Best,
Dave

Chiara DB

• Forum Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:55:49 PM »
Well, it makes sense. Stupid spammers!

Dave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Michael Teachings
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »
Well, it makes sense. Stupid spammers!

Up to 12 spammers this morning. I guess it's going to be a daily ritual: english muffin, orange juice, play with the kittens, strike out new spammers with the wrath of God and anything else the Universe can muster. ;-) 

Best,
Dave

Chiara DB

• Forum Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 10:00:30 AM »
Your day sounds awesome! :D

Geoff R.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 03:15:17 PM »
Hi Dave, does the forum have an option to require that the user validate their email address before they're able to post? That might cut down on at least some of the spam.
Also, I have a fair amount of experience modifying wordpress and vbulletin source code to prevent spamming (I'm a software programmer by trade). Haven't worked on Simple Machines before, but it's written in php, so it's most likely not that dissimilar. If the amount of spam becomes untenable for you, I may be able to help.

-g

Dave

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Michael Teachings
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 10:53:48 PM »
Thanks, Geoff.

I think SMF does have that setting to validate emails, so I'll investigate it further. I just eased my workload somewhat by configuring it so new members need to be approved before they can create a profile, etc. I had hoped to avoid that, but now I can check the requests to join, check the IPs at various spam agencies, and determine if the IP is associated with spamming. That's cut some of the time down. But if it gets any worse, I'll give you a yell. These spammers are remarkably persistent.

Best,
Dave